A Big Bang for the Buck
Farm policy is a cost-effective safety net that supports the only industry to touch us all at least three times a day.
- Americans spend 10% of their incomes on food – the lowest of any country.
- Spending on farm policy including crop insurance was down 20% over the past five years.
- These policies account for only 15% of Farm Bill funding (nutrition programs are 78%).
- Traditional farm supports cost Americans just 2 pennies per meal, and account for less than one quarter of 1% of the federal budget.
- It would take 100 years of total agriculture spending including crop insurance support to equal the $1.3 trillion 2012 budget deficit alone. Eliminating farm policy will not balance the budget, but it would do real damage to our economy and security