Strengthening the Thin Green Line
Fewer and fewer farmers are being asked to feed more and more hungry mouths, which won’t happen without strong farm policy.
- The world population will grow from 7 billion to 9 billion by 2050.
- Farmers will need to double food production by 2050 to keep pace.
- To do the job, there’s a “thin green line” of only 210,000 full-time U.S. farms, which produce 80% of our food and fiber.
- These aren’t corporate farms. Virtually all are family enterprises braving exceptional risks and tight margins.
- For every $1 spent on food, farmers receive less than 12 cents for the raw products